This is a guest post by Drew Crecente
One in three 14-year-olds have been in an abusive relationship
- 72 percent of tweens say boyfriend/girlfriend relationships begin at age 14 or younger;
- 37 percent of 11 to 12-year-olds say they have been in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship;
- 20 percent of tweens say that their parents know little or nothing about tweens’ dating;
- Six percent of parents admit to knowing little or nothing about tweens’ dating.
- Only 51 percent of tweens claim to know the warning signs of an abusive relationships;
- 81 percent of parents do not realize, or do not appreciate, that teen dating violence is a problem.
Jennifer Ann’s Group is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization preventing teen dating violence through awareness, education, and advocacy. The organization has been instrumental in the passing of legislation mandating teen dating violence awareness in schools and has distributed over a half-million free educational materials to schools, churches, and other organizations throughout the U.S. and U.K. at no cost to the recipients. For more information, visit http://jenniferann.org.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”